Rabbits are a popular type of pet due to their quiet but playful nature. To keep your rabbit healthy, your veterinarian near San Jose will tell you that being aware of what your rabbit should not be exposed to is essential. Read on for some helpful information about poisoning that all rabbit owners should know.
Understanding Poisoning in Rabbits
Your rabbit’s biological systems can be affected by toxic substances. Poisoning can make your pet sick and even be fatal, so knowing how to prevent this problem and recognize the signs of poisoning in your rabbit is key. If you are unsure about the safety of a food or product for your rabbit, speak with your veterinarian.
Preventing Poisoning in Rabbits
Rabbits can be poisoned by ingesting a toxin or being exposed to a topically applied product. Some examples of ingested toxins include some houseplants, outdoor poisonous plants, anticoagulant rat poisoning, some medications and antibiotics, medication overdoses, and lead poisoning through licking or chewing lead-containing household items. Topically applied products that often cause poisoning in rabbits include ointments and sprays in high concentrations, pesticides, insecticides, and flea collars. To avoid poisoning, it’s important to be careful about letting your rabbit play and graze outdoors, be mindful of what objects she can come in contact with indoors, and ensure that a product or medication is safe before applying or feeding it to your pet.
Diagnosing Poisoning in Rabbits
Some signs that may indicate that your rabbit is suffering from poisoning include loss of appetite, depression, lethargy, seizures, digestive problems, and a loss of body temperature regulation. If you suspect that your rabbit has been poisoned, then head to your local veterinary clinic right away. The veterinarian will ask you about your pet’s medical history when her symptoms began, and any circumstances that may have caused the poisoning. The more information you can provide at this stage, the faster your veterinarian may be able to diagnose the condition. Following a diagnosis, your veterinarian will speak with you about what treatment options are available, which will depend on the nature of the poisoning.