Veterinary Services in the San Jose, CA Area
Comprehensive Veterinary Services by De Anza Veterinary Clinic
At De Anza Veterinary Clinic, we are San Jose, CA resident’s premier choice for comprehensive veterinary services. Your pet’s well-being is our top priority, and we can always find the time to see any animal requiring veterinary attention. If your animal is in pain, visit our clinic right away. Our vets go above and beyond to find the best solutions in managing your animals’ suffering and finding the root cause of the issue. We can cater to a wide range of animals suffering from an array of health issues. With nearly five decades in the veterinary business, there’s not much we haven’t seen. With this knowledge and experience, we feel like there is no team more qualified to take care of your pet. Are you unsure if your pet is experiencing pain? We hope this page can help shed some light on the common signs and symptoms. Give us a call for the assistance your pet needs and deserves.
Common Causes of Pain
Since many animals tend to hide pain reasonably well, it may be hard to determine if your pet is truly in pain or not. If you think something is off with your animal, it’s best to trust your gut. At our vet clinic, we utilize state-of-the-art technology, such as digital radiography, to quickly check for any abnormalities in your pet. Countless occurrences can cause pain, and digital x-rays help our vets promptly identify which of the following may be causing your pet pain:
- physical trauma, from falling or being hit by something
- internal organ problems, such as intestinal upset or kidney blockage
- post-surgical procedure pain, like abdominal or bone pain
- brain or spine problems, such as a slipped disc, pinched nerve, or headache
- degenerative changes, commonly arthritis and joint damage
No matter what your pet is going through, our team has what it takes to quickly diagnose and begin any necessary pain management treatment. Do not wait to get the help your animal deserves and the peace of mind you need.
Signs and Symptoms to Watch Out For
We understand dealing with a pet in pain can be an overwhelming experience, but we want to assure you of our ability to help. One of the best things you can do for an animal in pain is to realize the signs and symptoms associated with their distress. Many animals are very efficient at effectively hiding pain due to their innate survival instincts, so we have compiled a list of some of the most common signs and symptoms to look out for:
- Excessive growling or groaning
- Stopped grooming
- Not moving from one spot
- Crying, whining, or howling
- Exhibiting a glassy-eyed, vacant look
- A hunched up or distorted body
- Acts of restlessness or distress
- Shaking and trembling
- Exhibiting irritable or aggressive behavior
- Refusing to eat
- Protecting a specific (typically hurting) body part
It is imperative to your pet’s health to have them treated for pain by qualified professionals. Failing to realize these warning signs may risk the recovery of your animal, as waiting too long can result in prolonged, invasive, intensive, costly, or ineffective treatment. The quicker you realize something is off, the better. Our team is always ready to help manage your animals’ pain and give them whatever they need for an optimal recovery process.
Available Treatment Options for Your Beloved Pet
At De Anza Veterinary Clinic, we have specific methods for managing your pets’ pain at any stage. After almost 50 years of experience, we have discovered many different routes to take to manage your animals’ pain effectively. Of course, we want your pet to experience the least pain possible, which is why we take special care to understand what type of pain management solution would be the best fit for their unique situation. Our vet can perform the following comprehensive pain management options for your animal:
- Pre-emptive – Our staff can prescribe pain medications for your pet before it is exposed to painful procedures, such as surgery.
- Physical restraint – Sometimes, your pet will need to undergo a “pinch, pick, or a poke” in which they will need to be physically restrained as a means to manage pain. We typically use this method for things like injection and other treatments that have a mild and very short duration of pain associated.
- Brain level unconsciousness – We have the ability to make your animal unconscious at the brain level, making it so they are unable to perceive pain. More commonly referred to as general anesthesia, this pain management type is best used for things like diagnostic tests that may cause pain while being performed but will not hurt once they are over.
- Multimodal pain relief – When your pet is experiencing pain that has resulted in a hospital stay with 24-hour supervision, we will work to strike pain pathways in multiple locations for the most effective pain management practices. This approach is safer and more effective for your pet, as we will implement IV drips with continuous pain medications, frequent injections of pain medications that work in different ways, and supportive physiotherapy (ex: optimal bedding, ice pack therapy, massage.)
- Managing your pets’ pain at home – Once your pet is okay to leave our care and go home, the options for managing your pet’s pain become more specific, though the multimodal pain relief approach will be the most effective. We will provide you with multiple oral medications that work in different ways to effectively maintain your animals’ pain.
Though medications and techniques to manage your animals’ pain are great, they should only be viewed as antibiotics and not the end-all-be-all cure to your pets’ issues. This is only a small part to relieving your animals’ pain, which is why we strive to get to the root problem of why your pet is suffering. Here at De Anza Veterinary Clinic, we understand a pain management plan must be tailored to your beloved pet, their medical condition, and their pain level. With us, your animal won’t receive a one-size-fits-all solution to their pain. That’s our promise.
Pain Management Plans Customized to Your Pets’ Needs
Once we devise a pain management plan for your animal, we will supervise the process, paying close attention to any modifications that will need to be made as your pets’ response unfolds. This duration could be minutes, hours, or even weeks, as it all depends on the specific medical condition your animal is going through, and the pain being treated. Pain can significantly alter the physiology and behavior of your pet. Which is why we work our hardest to ensure we can help avoid, prevent, or reduce your pet’s pain. Our veterinary professionals have ample knowledge and experience to spot and successfully manage pain in our patients. We utilize medications and state-of-the-art techniques to provide plans customized to your pets’ medical condition and species.
Contact Us Right Away for Pain Management Veterinary Services
Call on the team at De Anza Veterinary Clinic for comprehensive veterinary services when your animal needs them most. We strive to the highest quality care for our patients, so we can give our clients the peace of mind they deserve. Your pet deserves to be pain-free, and we have the solutions to get them there! Contact us today for more information on our pain management solutions or to schedule an appointment at our San Jose, CA veterinary clinic. We look forward to proving our commitment to your pet’s well-being.